Dropped and Unraveled

Monday, October 02, 2006

Stranded in Sleeve Hell

I love knitting sweaters, I really do. I love the whole shaping and measuring and making a sweater shaped piece of fabric out of string thing. There is only one part of the sweater I hate. The unending sleeves. First of all, most sleeves are an uninteresting tube thingy that starts small and gets bigger. No real creativity or vision needed. (This from the woman blindly following the pattern.) And the whole start small and get bigger thing. What's up with that? Every single boring row is longer than the last boring row. By the time you're shaping the sleeve cap you just want to scramble your own brain with your needles. This is why I will never knit a point up shawl pattern. Well, I might. The fun lacy stuff might help. The sleeve in question, however, does nothing to keep my attention. Plain old 2x3 ribbing all the way up. And when I finish this one, I get to do it all over again. Yippee. Excuse me while I make enough room in the garage for my still running car. And for those of you who see the obvious solution here is to alter all my sweater patterns to be sleeveless, um, no. I have granny bat-flaps. I would rather not have the danger of knocking someone out or taking flight as they jiggle and sway around. Not pretty. So, anyway, I'm done with the amazing body of the sweater we are all imagining (what, you thought I'd actually have pictures today? Hah.) and I'm knitting the first sleeve. Stay tuned to find out which is finished first, the sleeve, my trusty bottle of red wine, or my ever weakening hold on sanity.

2 Comments:

Blogger *~*Katy*~* said...

oooooh is this the pretty???? At least the sleeves have a pattern at the elbow, don't they? Some dropped stitches or something? Maybe I'm imagining things....anyway, i can't WAIT to see it!!! And why the Hell don't you have pics of the bodice?!

Okay I'll leave you alone now...my sis needs to go to sleep...Love you!!!

8:36 PM  
Blogger xvii_thestar said...

LOL all the more reason for you to invent a way to knit bat wing sleeves onto a sweater for your gothic partner in crime. >:D As for making room in the garage for your running car, just think of all the wool you'll miss out on if you die now!!!! As for the granny bat flaps, I think we all have those *giggle* all the better to knock muggers out with and take flight in our fancies and madness WHEEEE!!!!

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home