Dropped and Unraveled

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Lots of stuff. Not a lot of sense. I've been sort of just going throughout the motions lately, and realized today I wanted to write something. I haven't wanted to write, really write, in years. I think I just got busy, and being in "Mommy mode" all the time sucked the creative right out of me. I'm in the plotting and thinking stages now, and maybe nothing will happen beyond that, but it's a good sign. For so long I've felt like I got lost in the choices I made after high school, it's good to get some of that back.
Someday I might tell the story of what I was going to be and compare it to what I've become. I'm very different from what I expected, but I think that's a good thing. I'm stronger than I ever planned, and I've discovered talents I never would have looked for.
Not much knitting going on here, honestly. I think I want to design something, but I have to finish some of the stuff I've started before I even think about a new project. Do you think it's more important to have a finished product, something useful to show for hours of work, or that it's OK to just work on something that makes you happy, regardless of how many things you start and if nothing ever gets completed? I'm still up in the air about this, I'm sure I'd be more fulfilled if I stuck with it and just finished one thing at a time. It's an adult thing to do, and it requires discipline and backbone. It would also require a complete personality transplant. I am, and always have been, a complete and total scatterbrain. I can't even just read one book at a time. Plus different moods require different things. Some days I just can't stand the thought of knitting another sock, and some days the idea of a cabled sweater makes my skin crawl. I think I'm doomed to a future littered with incomplete stuff scattered in my wake and very few warm sweaters.
I think I'd like to knit mittens tonight.

2 Comments:

Blogger *~*Katy*~* said...

Hey, I'm glad that you're getting some of the "old Cassi" back! I love you no matter what, of course. Anytime you feel like talking about what you planned vs. how things turned out, you know I'm always around for ya! Let's see, how do I feel about the question you posed? I think I ideally would like to finish one thing before starting the next, but I'm so antsy I never get around to it. Especially since I'm so slow. In fact, I was considerig going out and buying some more yarn and knitting needles so that I wouldn't get "rusty". I can definately identify with just not wanting to do something one day. Like today, I just don't feel like getting dressed. It's after 4 here, and I'm still in my PJs. Plus I'm considering going back to sleep. It's a sleepy day, I guess. I feel really bad though cause Sara's been working all day and is going to do errands after work. My poor sissy. It must suck being an adult! Anyway, have fun making your mittens...I think that doing whatever you want - whatever will keep you sane and keep you from frogging out of sheer frustration - is the best route. Yay! I made a decision!!!

1:18 PM  
Blogger xvii_thestar said...

I am all about scatterbrain knitting. I currently have like 8 things on the needles. I knit because I enjoy the process, not because I want to impress others. If I really want the finished project it gets finished... if I just want to take the time and enjoy the process I enjoy it. Adult does not mean sacrificing the right to be scatterbrained and happy. Adult means having the responsibility to accept the consequences of having multiple projects on the needles which may include guage confusion, needle shortage, and project confusion.

I totally understand the not being where you thought you'd be sentiment. Growing up I always thought I'd be some sort of scientist or great mind somewhere doing something fantastic. Sometimes it really blows me away how far I landed from that plan. I agree with you though and sympathize ... I had no idea I was so strong when I was young. Now I realize what a valkyrie I really am. I should be dead or in a nut house, but somehow I'm not. I'm glad I'm not dead or in a nut house, but wow... yea... heh.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home